by Lenie Lectura, 15 April 2015
The power situation in the Visayas and Mindanao remains critical as of Wednesday due to lack of power-generation capacity.
Based on National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) outlook for Thursday, the Visayas and Mindanao’s available capacity are likely to reach 1,559 megawatts (MW) and 1,397 MW, respectively.
The available capacity, however, will not be able to serve an anticipated peak demand of 1,570 MW in the Visayas and 1,398 MW in Mindanao. Hence, there’s a gross reserve of negative 11 MW and negative 1 MW in the Visayas and Mindanao, respectively.
A short power shortage occurred in some parts of Antique on Wednesday due to line tripping of the 69-kilovolt (kV) Santa Barbara-Miag-ao-Sibalom line. The NGCP reenergized the transmission line at 2:31 p.m.
“In Mindanao, there are areas having rotational brownouts due to power-supply contracting deficiency by distribution utilities and low outputs from hydropower plants,” Department of Energy (DOE) Director Myleen Capongcol said in a text message.
Meanwhile, Luzon’s gross reserve is anticipated to reach 1,301 MW on Thursday after the grid recorded this year’s highest peak demand at 8,271 MW on Tuesday.
Based on the projection, an increase in demand is expected in the coming months, particularly in May.
The DOE, in a news statement, urged the public to continue practicing energy efficiency and conservation measures, following the resumption of gas supply from the Malampaya gas field. “The service contract operator has reported the completion of the Malampaya turnaround activities on schedule and has started natural gas deliveries for Santa Rita, San Lorenzo and Ilijan,” Energy Secretary Carlos Jericho L. Petilla said.
With the official start of the summer earlier this month, the agency said it will closely coordinate with energy stakeholders to ensure the stable supply of electricity.
Still, Petilla stressed the need for the public to be responsible energy users and to practice energy-efficiency measures.