Petro Energy’s Nabas wind farm starts comm’l operation by June

by Madelaine B. Miraflor, 22 April 2015
from Manila Bulletin

Nabas, Aklan– The bulk portion of Petro Wind Energy, Inc.’s (PWEI) 50-megawatt (MW) wind facility in Nabas, the first wind farm in the entire province of Aklan, is expected to begin operations by the end of June, which would supply 36 MW of power capacity to the grid.

PWEI is 40-percent owned by PetroGreen Energy Corporation, which is a wholly owned unit of listed PetroEnergy Resources Corp.

Aside from PetroGreen, the Nabas wind project is also partly owned by Singapore-based CapAsia ASEAN Wind Holdings Cooperatief U.A., and EEI Corp.

Divided into two phases, the P4.0-billion Nabas Phase-1 Wind Power Project, which is the single biggest investment in Aklan province to-date, involves the establishment of 18 turbines with a capacity of 2 MW each.

So far, the company has only commissioned 8 turbines.

“We expect the [commercial operation of phase one] to be done by late June or early July,” Petroenergy vice president Francisco Delfin Jr. said in an interview with reporters on Tuesday.

“Eight turbines are already delivering power in the Visayas grid since March 24 and then starting Tuesday and up to the end of May, one by one, the remaining ten turbines will be commissioned and will be connected and dispatching power to the grid,” Delfin added.

After the company put up the turbines, they will first put them online for a two-month testing before they can supply power to the grid.

In a separate interview, Aklan Provincial Administrator Selwyn Ibarreta told reporters that the project would help meet the demand for the province at the same time help it become an eco-tourism attraction.

The Department of Energy gave the company the confirmation of commerciality for the project in 2013, allowing PetroGreen’s service contract to last at least 25 years until 2034. For the phase 2 of the project, the company is yet to determine the investment cost and the timetable.

PetroEnergy is set to raise P600-million via stock rights offering to partly bankroll its expansion projects.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s