NGCP transmission tower bombed again

by Lenie Lectura – March 2, 2016

from Business Mirror

THE National Grid Corp. of the Philippines (NGCP) on Wednesday reported that one of its transmission towers in Cotabato was bombed again.

NGCP’s Tower 63 of Kabacan-Sultan Kudarat 138 kilovolt (kV) line in Barangay Pagangan, Aleosan, Cotabato, was bombed on the evening of March 1. The tower was not toppled.

This is the third bombing of NGCP towers this year, and the second bombing for the same tower. Tower 63 was also bombed on January 14.

“Restoration of Tower 63 will start as soon as the area is secured,” NGCP said in a statement.

“The company stresses that the bombings only serve to increase the burden of the public, which must suffer through service interruptions when towers are bombed,” it added.

The company said the bombings and right-of-way (ROW) violations only serve to increase the burden of the public, which must suffer through service interruption. It also warned that these problems may cause power-supply deficiency during the May elections.

NGCP earlier asked the court for a writ of preliminary injunction or temporary restraining order (TRO) or both against the Sambitory family, the claimants who refused the grid operator entry to their property to repair Tower 25 of Agus 2-Kibawe 138-kV line.

Tower 25 was bombed on December 24, 2015, rendering the Agus 2-Kibawe 138-kV line nonoperational. Since then, two hydropower plants—Agus 1 and Agus 2—both connected to the grid through said transmission line, have been isolated, further straining the power-supply situation in Mindanao.

In a petition filed with the Regional Trial Court in Marawi City, NGCP asked for the issuance of the writ of preliminary injunction or TRO or both to “compel the defendants [Sambitory family] to cease from committing acts that prevent plaintiff NGCP from entering the property.”

The grid operator stressed that it cannot perform its mandate to maintain, rehabilitate, repair and refurbish the damaged transmission facilities if the family continues to refuse them access, adding that this “will result in the shortage of power supply on the island of Mindanao and the disruption of public service due to massive blackouts and power interruptions.”

Advertisements