by Alena Mae S. Flores – November 25, 2015 at 11:30 pm
from Manila Standard
A dozen companies have expressed interest in the the second round of bidding for the decommissioned 850-megawatt Sucat thermal power plant in Muntinlupa City.
“We received 12 LOIs [letters of interest, including from], a foreign firm,” Power Sector Assets and Liabilities Management Corp. president Lourdes Alzona said.
Alzona said the pre-bid conference would be held on Nov. 27.
PSALM earlier issued the invitation to bid for rebidding of the decommissioned Sucat plant.
The bid submission deadline was set on Feb. 17, 2016. The Sucat facility is being disposed on an “as is, where is” basis.
The Sucat facility was previously considered for conversion into a natural gas facility that will serve as an anchor load of the Batangas-Manila natural gas pipeline, before the government decided to bid it out as a decommissioned asset.
PSALM, which manages the assets and liabilities of National Power Corp., decided to rebid the Sucat thermal power plant after the bid process failed last year due to allegations of “fake” documents submitted by the highest bidder.
Local company Genetron International Marketing emerged as the winning bidder for the sale of the Sucat decommissioned plant, with a bid price of P602 million in March last year.
The oil-fired power plant in Sucat, Muntinlupa City was previously owned by the Manila Electric Co. and later acquired by the National Power Corporation in November 1978.
It consists of Unit 1, which has a rated capacity of 150 MW; Units 2 and 3, each with 200 MW; and Unit 4 which is rated at 300 MW.
The Sucat plant, formerly known as the Gardner Snyder thermal plant, commenced commercial operations in August 1968 with the completion of Unit 1. Units 2 and 4 followed operations after their construction in 1970, 1971 and 1972, respectively.
In January 2000, Units 1 and 4 were decommissioned and placed under preservation. Units 2 and 3 followed in January 2002.